Sunday, July 18, 2010

Inception: "What's the most resilient parasite? An idea."


Inception was delicious eye candy. I’m not ashamed to say it, and I’m not ashamed I liked it. But I don’t intend to watch it again, unlike many others who have seen the film. The story was interesting, the writing was good, and the acting was par. But it was the visual aspect that grabbed me—I’m glad I saw it in IMAX.


I’m gonna cut to the chase—the visuals had me drooling the entire time. It wasn’t too over-the-top or incohesive (like a Terry Gilliam mess) and it wasn’t what the layman labels “creative” (like M. Night Shyamalan or Tim Burton). It was actually different and interesting.


Between the beautiful shots of people fighting while floating and cities folding into themselves, there were certain inconsistencies within this world that did not make sense to me. But that goes with the territory when you see a film like this, and it’s almost unavoidable. You just have to set all your logic on the shelf before the film begins. Luckily, the story and the visuals will soothe your logic-less brain. And after walking away, don’t bother wasting time pondering the film’s contradictions or lapses in logic.


I recommend a one-time must-see. It’s the film everyone’s talking about, and you’ll be shunned from social circles and awkwardly ostracized at parties if you don’t see it. But you don’t have to succumb to peer pressure and pretend you’re going to see it twice.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After discussing this movie with my wise friend Dave I have come to realize that my problem with this movie comes down to my intense problem with Christopher Nolan. I don't like his movies...at all. And frankly after discussing it i realized how many of his movies are similar, The Prestige follows a similar pattern as Inception if you think about it, and the two Batman movies, though different in plot sequence, have Nolan's unmistakable overly-hyped stylistic mark on them. I agree that the visuals and acting was more than adequate but the inconsistencies that this, and Nolan's others, have is too much for me to ignore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally understandable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So... I'm an ending-spoiler. I love knowing where the movie is going to end before I go into it. Usually I'll just read the synopsis on Wikipedia or something beforehand, but I saw this one completely blind. That's why I want to see it again because now I know where it's going. I won't have to be all stressed the entire time and can just relax and enjoy the visuals. Besides, what else am I going to see this summer? The Last Airbender?! Eclipse???!!? C'MON.

    ReplyDelete