Wednesday, November 10, 2010

"There's us and the dead."




Okay, so this is a little late coming and it's kind of a no-brainer (no pun intended) but if you're not watching The Walking Dead, you're missing out on the best zombie story ever put to screen. I love zombie movies, but The Walking Dead puts them all to shame (yes, I'm talking to you, Romero). This television experience shows you what a zombie story should be.

Not to get too gushy, but this show continually blows my mind. From the first episode, I was hooked on not only the writing and the story, but the way it's shot. It's one of the most cinematic shows I've ever seen-- pure gorgeousness (amongst all the guts and gore). All along the way, there are brilliant and beautiful decisions made in the framing, juxtaposition, and angles of shots. This is the first zombie story to take itself seriously.

If you're not particularly gripped by the cinematography, I promise you the story will grab you. It's packed full of interesting, complex characters, dramatic irony, and writing that gives you a perpetual sense of anxiety-- I feel like they will kill off whoever they please, with no respect of persons. Not to mention, the gore is pretty fun.

If you're not able to catch it Sundays on AMC, watch it online. You'll be sorry if you don't. And if you didn't hear, the show has officially just been renewed for a full 13-episode season next year. Oh yeah!

4 comments:

  1. I am loving the new show.

    As far as being the first zombie story to take itself seriously... I do think Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, and Day of the Dead took themselves fairly seriously. I also think the novel, World War Z, takes itself seriously and does it well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley, where are all your loyal followers?

    Walking Dead is very good, but Shawn of the Dead is still the best in my book.

    Here's hoping they keep it consistently good, because we all know how easily these types of shows devolve as writers run out of ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely going to have to check this out online!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been watching this show and absolutely love it. This show has actually prompted me to write a paper on Zombies, Derrida, and post-nuclear-holocaust theory. Delicious. Sigh...
    I will have to send it your way! <3

    ReplyDelete